Here’s a book idea I’ve been toying with. I may never write it, (who knows? vu den?) but I think the outline is worth sharing. Let me know what you think:
THE SCHOOL FOR JEWISH MOTHERS or
My head’s in the oven, the gas in on, but don’t worry about me.
- Guilt (Master’s level course available)
- Inducing insufficiency
- Inducing dependence
- Abandonment and overconnection: the duality
- Masochism (the illusion)
- The many variations of “oy”
- Sore feet or a little arthritis
- The ability to whine on command
- The ability to kill with a look
- No sense of humor
- A flair for the obvious
- The uncanny ability to sense vulnerability
Phrases to live by
- Eat a little something. I thought it was your favorite…what am I, wrong?
- Don’t worry about me. It’s okay if I’m all alone.
- I did everything for you and this is how you repay me?
- You should only know.
- Don’t ask.